Posted to rec.woodworking

Default The new Delta?

In article ,
says...

[...snip...]
If I was in the market for a reasonably priced 10" cabinet saw, I certainly
wouldn't have any qualms about considering Grizzly:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-H...ng-Knife/G0651
http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-3...ng-Knife/G0691

If anybody here owns either of those machines, I'd certainly like to hear some
reviews. Both machines have riving knives (as does the General), and that
would be a requirement at the very top of my list.

I don't own either, but there's been a lot of chatter on Lumberjocks
and other forums about these and other saws, so do a google search.
Generally the chatter has been very favorable for the Grizzly saws,
but the same can be said for most any real cabinet saw.

I don't get exactly why the G0651 is $2125 and the G0691 is $1425. The
shipping weight on the G091 is more than the G0651, so I doubt the
price difference is heavier trunnions or anything like that.

The riving knife on the G0651 has a quick release feature, the G0691
requires more fiddling to get it on/off.

Look at the catalog pages and you get more description and a somewhat
different story. According to the catalog pages the G0651 shipping
weight is 711 pounds vs 514 for the G0691.

Other differences. Looking at the pictures, the fences are clearly
different. Whether the difference is purely cosmetic or whether it has
a real effect on function I have no idea. The G0651 comes with two
extension tables, vs 1 for the 691, and the ones for the 651 look more
durable, with spreaders for the legs and a shelf underneath; the 651 has
a digital readout for bevel angle, and, most telling, there's an option
for a 5 HP 3-phase motor, which implies that it's designed to handle
same.

Oh, and the 651 is made in Taiwan--whether that means anything in terms
of quality I don't know but at least you can be sure it wasn't made by
slave labor.