Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default destroying data CDs?

MM wrote:
On Wed, 21 Mar 2012 23:35:48 -0000, "Lieutenant Scott"
wrote:

On Wed, 07 Mar 2012 22:41:07 -0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Adam Funk writes:
On a related note, is there a good & easy way to destroy data CDs?
The shredders I've come across with CD slots just scratch the surfaces
up a bit rather than break them into bits.
I had a large pile, and didn't like the idea of feeding them
all through the microwave, in case it damaged it.

Does anyone know if you can bust a microwave if there is nothing (or not much to absorb like water) in it? Will it overheat as there's several hundred watts of microwaves with nowhere to go but the dummy load in the magnetron?

Don't worry! These people will just buy another microwave, then
another... and so on... Still, I suppose this group IS d-i-y, so some
people will try anything! From the web:

"The vapors or fumes released from most DVD's and CD's while
microwaving them are TOXIC. Do not do the above unless you have a
spare microwave, as the fumes can attach to the walls of the
microwave, or cling to your food."

No that's from your earlier posting and of course is simply wrong.

That its now reached the web via google groups is of course just another
example of how to get a total lie into every search engine on the planet
in a couple of days.

MM

and how hard it is to achieve it.