Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default destroying data CDs?

Rod Speed wrote:
Lieutenant Scott wrote
Andrew Gabriel wrote
Adam Funk wrote

On a related note, is there a good & easy way to destroy data CDs? The shredders I've come across with CD slots just
scratch the surfaces up a bit rather than break them into bits.

I had a large pile, and didn't like the idea of feeding them all through the microwave, in case it damaged it.

Does anyone know if you can bust a microwave if there is nothing (or not much to absorb like water) in it?

In theory you can, but decent modern designs allow for that.

Corse all bets are off with the cheapest **** from china.

even the cheapest **** from, china has to be essentially protected
against anything a consumer can put in it because at some point a
consumer will..

Will it overheat as there's several hundred watts of microwaves with nowhere to go but the dummy load in the
magnetron?

Normally not.

Not sure if there is no 'load' the magnetron will draw much power at all.

and how hard it is to achieve it.