Posted to rec.woodworking
tiredofspam tiredofspam is offline

Default The new Delta?

No argument there. It's why the old bailey corrugated planes are so
beloved. No hydraulic lock. I wax my top often.
Same with the jointer.

It was a cool gee whiz thing..

On 3/21/2012 2:43 PM, Leon wrote:
On 3/21/2012 12:40 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
I would also say excluding the Saw Stop, that the older 66 sets the
standard. The polished table alone showed quality. The left tilt was
nice. the wheels were good.

Oddly I never saw the mirror top on the PM an advantage. It is cool gee
whiz but my experience is that the more coarse the grind on the top the
less friction.

For a couple of examples, My old cast iron Craftsman top was crude by
any polishing standards yet with a layer of TopCote on it and my Jet
cabinet saw with smoooth top the Craftsman had FAR FAR less friction.
I could toss a small scrap to the top of the Craftsman and it would
slide off the top, not even close on the Jet.

Minimax uses a coarse finish on their saw top for the same reason and I
confirmed that several years ago when visiting their show room in Austin.

Click on one of the pictures and you can see the grind

http://minimax-usa.com/index.php?pag...mart&Itemid=35