Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default destroying data CDs? (was: paper shredder repair?)

whisky-dave wrote
MM wrote
Andy Dingley wrote
Adam Funk wrote

On a related note, is there a good & easy way to destroy data CDs?

CDs or CD-ROMs?

If they're CD-ROMs, you can microwave them. You need to space
them apart if you're doing a batch (plastic toastrack, or else a $500
silicon wafer processing boat). You also need to do them for just
long enough to nuke the data layer, but without cooking the plastic
or there's a fume problem. For regular industrial use I was able to
use a cheap domestic microwave from Currys, but had to mod it with
a fixed timer and a single big push button.

CDs can't be nuked to reliably kill the data without getting them
hot enough to cause a fume problem. Shredding is easier, although
you do need a hefty shredder.

I do not understand this penchant for microwaving CDs! Toxic,
extremely obnoxious fumes will be released. Do people just put up
with the stench permeating their houses?

I always thought that doing such things in a microwave could damage the oven.

Nope.

As your'e not mean to put matalic objects in them,

That hasnt been true for a long time now. Plenty of them
tell you to put some alfoil on the ends of stuff like chicken
drumsticks to stop them getting burnt etc.

And some even include wire racks too.

well I guess tehre's not much metal on 1 CD.

Metal isnt necessarily a problem.

Crazy, when there are shredders available for the
price of a decent meal for two or a tankful of fuel.

or a good night in the pub.

Using the microwave doesnt cost anything like any of those.

You actually BOUGHT a new microwave, then modded it?!! Risible, when
you could have simply bought a shredder. Since I bought mine, there
are new models on the market that are considerably cheaper (under 40
quid). It's a no-brainer.

Maybe it's just fun to nuke CD's

Or maybe its just the easiest way to make the unreadable.