Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Glue that will adhere to melamine?

On Mar 19, 6:05*pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
Greg Guarino wrote:
I added some oak trim to some black melamine shelves a few years ago,
using some sort of glue, maybe it was Titebond. Hey, it stuck for a
while. But then the weight of the stuff my daughter put on the shelves
made the shelves want to bow a bit; the oak trim was not as pliable.

It's funny in retrospect that people here recommend using pieces of
melamine with clamps while gluing up a project, specifically for its
"glue-repelling" qualities. Oh well.

What should I use this time?

You used the oak on the edges? *If so, you need to either make shorter or
stiffer shelves or afix the trim mechanically as well as with glue. *By
"mechanically" I mean screws or dowels/biscuits.

If you were trying to stick the wood to the melamine surface and not the
edge then you need to remove the melamine where the wood is going to go - I
use a router - and then glue normally.

There is a glue supposedly made to glue to melamine, never used it, no idea
if good or bad. *Regular glue *does* stick to it, just not well.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

So-called Melamine glue does work, just not well. Only a tad better
than regular glue.
Sortakinda like aluminum solder..works..kinda.