Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Glue that will adhere to melamine?

On Mar 19, 2:28*pm, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet wrote:
On 3/19/2012 9:42 AM, Robatoy wrote:

On Mar 19, 10:01 am, Greg *wrote:
I added some oak trim to some black melamine shelves a few years ago,
using some sort of glue, maybe it was Titebond. Hey, it stuck for a
while. But then the weight of the stuff my daughter put on the shelves
made the shelves want to bow a bit; the oak trim was not as pliable.

It's funny in retrospect that people here recommend using pieces of
melamine with clamps while gluing up a project, specifically for its
"glue-repelling" qualities. Oh well.

What should I use this time?

Ultimately, nothing sticks to melamine. You can get some
(fake)adhesion from some glues, but there is no real 'adhesion through
penetration/absorption' IOW, a real bond isn't formed, but a seal to
stop the air from crawling into the joint, is.
If one were to find an adhesive that truly bonded to melamine, the
entire cabinet industry would beat a path to your door.

HEY! *How do they get the melamine to stick to the substrate??? *:~)

Heat. Before it cures. Once cured, nothing sticks to it, like
polyethylene. You can get some nasty glues, like Gorilla to stick to,
as you could with silicon, but a true 'bond' nope. I have used a
lacquer-based adhesive that stuck pretty damned good, but in the end,
not a good bond, like you'd get glueing two pieces of oak. I have also
pulled scabs of melamine off the the substrate, but never would I call
it a mechanical, trustworthy 'bond'.