Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default How much are you really paying for electricity?

On Mar 16, 11:07*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 11:34:49 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

wrote:

Tell that to the crew that is replacing a half dozen or so poles in my
neighborhood.

I've got 2 ploes in front of my house right now...new and old. Next
week they'll be transferring the wires.

I hop you don't have the same crew that did the pole in front of my
house. *They came out and measure, marked and had all sort of painted
line and arrows. *Then they proceeded to drill right into my sewer
line. *Planted the pole and left. *It was only a portion of the line
so I had some flow and it took weeks for the backup to happen.

Actually, I should write a thank you note to the crew that dropped the
new pole next to my driveway.

As I said in my other post, I park right next to a pole. Years ago I
put patio blocks around the pole so that when I get out of my car I'm
not stepping onto grass (or mud when it rains).

When I heard that they were going to replace the pole, I worried that
they would destroy my little "patio" since it's on town property.
Instead, they placed the new pole far enough away (about 6 feet) so
that they didn't disturb the patio. The other new poles on the street
are much closer to the old ones.

Of course, they haven't taken the old one out, but as long as they
just pull it straight up and out, all I'll have to do is place one
patio block over the spot where the old pole was and I'll be in better
shape than I was before.

Did they repair it? *No, I had to have it done and put in a claim for
the $3500 job.

The only downside is that they cut a huge "U" into a very old pine
tree at the end of the street to open it up for the wires. Someone,
many years ago, had strapped 2 x 4's to the wires where they ran
through the tree so that the wood rested on the branches, not the
wires. Those supports will no longer be needed since the tree crew
removed all of the branches on the inside the tree so that wires hang
free.

Can you say butt-ugly?

Sure, but the tree probably should have just been taken down. *One of
the problems we have in CT is the tree huggers don't want radical
trimming. They'd rather complain that the power is out and no one came
to fix it yet.

I can't say for sure whose tree it is, the homeowner's or the town's.
It always questionable on my street because there are no sidewalks,
the street is curved, the houses aren't always build square to the
property lines, etc.

I know that the town's tree foreman stopped over while the tree
cutting crew was there because I called the town the morning the tree
crew showed up. I had chatted with the tree crew about what they
planned to do and they asked me if I knew who owned this tree here and
that tree there and what was town property, etc. When they hinted at
taken down some of the trees completely, I got a little concerned.
It's a very pretty tree lined street and dropping some of the old
growth trees would have changed the look and feel considerably. On my
way to work that morning I called the town and they apparently sent
the tree foreman over to make sure they didn't go overboard. It may
have been him that told them to cut the U into the pine, but I can't
say.