Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How much are you really paying for electricity?

On Mar 17, 5:56*pm, wrote:
On Sat, 17 Mar 2012 12:21:22 -0700 (PDT), "

wrote:

$25 a month for a residential meter rental sounds steep. *Curious,
which electric company is this?

I think it pure robbery. *After all, the meter is there for THEIR
benefit. *Electricity could enter my buildings without a meter. *Sure I
understand they need a method to determine usage, but I dont believe
there should be any fee for the meter. *They make their money off of the
sale of the electric. *This is the same as if everytime I went to
Walmart I had to pay to enter the store, and then pay for the
merchandize too.

This is one of those rural ripoff coops!
Coops used to mean that everyone played a part in the ownership, but
these days it's only a select few that make all the decisions. *Yet they
were more than happy to build a brand new HUGE building for the company,
and added every luxury available, while their old building was perfectly
fine, and now, 6 or 7 years later that old bldg still sits empty, and
will probably be demolished in a few more years rather than selling it
or leasing it, to help pay off the new bldg. *Worse yet, they light up
the whole outside of the fancy new bldg at night with flood lights to
show it off, and mostly only local residents even see it. *Yet they keep
sending notices that we should conserve energy. *How about they heed
their own advice. *One night I counted tthe lights. *18 in the parking
lot, and 24 on the building, not to mention all the lights left on
inside the bldg. *(And no one is there at night). *Aside from a few
security lights, none of these do any good for anyone, and all except
the security lights should be shut off as soon as they leave the
building.

Write those thoughts to your local newspaper editor and see if you get
results. Logical, plain, simple statements of facts get you space on
the Editorial page in my area.(suburban Chicago). Utilities are
sensitive to public opinion, in my experioence, and if they are made
to look bad in print, they are more likely to respond.