Posted to alt.home.repair
Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds Malcom \Mal\ Reynolds is offline

Default How much are you really paying for electricity?

In article ,
wrote:

In other words, they can rip me off $25 a month just because they can!
That's $300 a year going in their pockets for a meter that probably only
cost them a one time fee of $100, and every year they take $300 for that
same meter. I'm seriously looking into my own generator along with
solar panels.

Even if you found the regulatory loophole that would allow you to use your own
meter, they would charge you a large "inspection" fee to validate that the meter
is acceptable and then a monthly "insurance" or some other type of fee

Just to add to this, a neighbor has 3 meters on his farm, and is paying
$75 a month for them. One is for his house, another for a rental house,
and the 3rd for his barn. He pays the electric for the rental house as
part of the rent, and all he has in his barn are lights and a few
heaters for his chickens. I told him to at least get rid of the barn
meter and put it on his own house meter. I'll be helping him do that
this summer. I also explained to him that he can put all 3 on the same
meter and still put his own meter (after the one from the power company)
to monitor what the tenants use. He'll be saving $50 a month / $600 a
year.