Posted to alt.home.repair
Dan Espen[_2_] Dan Espen[_2_] is offline

Default Toilet seat hinge breaks, possible to just replace the hinge?

Nate Nagel writes:

On 03/16/2012 04:57 PM, Dan Musicant wrote:
On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 13:09:07 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

:On Mar 16, 4:04 pm, Dan wrote:
: The seat looks fine except that one of the two hinges that screw into
: the seat and back has broken. It's some kind of plastic. Can I possibly
: buy a hinge new? The seat is made by Bemis and I bought and installed
: that myself, very likely bought from Home Depot maybe 10 years ago.
:
:Take a look at Signature Hardware. Have used their plated-brass
:hinged seats with good luck (after getting sick of the big box crap
:that breaks after a couple years) and I believe they sell the hinges
:separately.

What I see there is a brass affair, one big unit. What I have is two
separate hinges. I just did some poking around and found this:

http://www.amazon.com/Lasco-14-1039-...1931100&sr=1-3

Says it works with Bemis seats, so I suppose it will work, however it
appears to be different from what's on there. I may visit my local
recycling outfit before ordering.

It ain't rocket surgery... I'm assuming your seat is wood or rigid
plastic. In almost all cases the hinges just screw to the seat with
little stainless or brass wood screws. Worst case you might have to
fill some old holes with white caulk to hide where the old hinges
were. Or just buy a whole new seat and be done with it. I like the
brass hinge assy. for ease of cleaning, the plastic ones seem to
collect mung in the nooks and crannies.

The "slow close" seats I just bought have a simple way to remove
the seat entirely from the toilet. Turn 2 hidden knobs and pop
the entire seat right off.

It's meant for cleaning. You can get at the entire area under the
seat.

--
Dan Espen