Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Hilsch Tubes Revisited

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 20:03:21 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On 16 Mar 2012 23:58:35 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2012-03-16, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 18:15:18 +0700, John B.
wrote:

[ ... ]

Well, the air pressure theory was disproved. The last I read they were
theorizing about inter molecular adhesion and wondering about how to
prove it :-)

Would that not be "cohesion", not "adhesion" since it is between
two pieces of the same metal?

\
I don't remember. It's Friday night, and I've about done thinking for
the week. d8-)

BTW I've never had a chance to try this, but do steel and
carbide and ceramic gauge blocks all wring together cross-species? (All
I have are steel ones.) If so, then we can eliminate cohesion as a
requirement. :-)

Yes, they will all wring together. I've done it. I ran a photo of a
mixed stack in _Machine Shop Guide_ many years ago.

Let me amend that: I ran a photo of a stack of ceramic and steel
blocks wrung together. No carbide.

Tungsten carbide doesn't wring very well. Chromium carbide gage blocks
wring better. Tungsten carbide blocks are usually the square ones with
the hole in the middle, for a clamp screw. But regular ones are
available, or they were.

--
Ed Huntress