Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tap Magic - Thank You

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
On 2012-03-14, Bob La Londe wrote:
A buddy of mine brought over some bending dies and asked me to change
their
shape and size on the lathe. He also brought a brand new can of Tap
Magic
as a gift for helping him out. The bending dies were very hard, and I
tried
both oil and the Tap Magic. We went with the TM if for no other reason
than
it smelled better.

1,1,1, Trichlor -- if it is the original TapMagic.

Its not. Specifically says it doesn't contain that stuff. Still it works
pretty darn good. I tried some 3D mold making with just a few drops of that
rubbed on the surface, and an air blast. I tried the same mold (reverse
cavity) first with just the air blast. Upon close inspection the one with
just the air blast was decent, but I could see a few tiny spots of galling
or tearing. With just a couple drops of Tap Magic and an air blast it was
nice clean tool marks from edge tot edge and end to end. Wow! I have to
say it works pretty good with aluminum too.

It says "For All Metals" on the can, and lists just about anything I could
imagine having a need to machine from iconnel to brass. Still I take my
snake oil with a dash of salt. I have to say that it does make a huge
difference on what I have tried though.