Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Hilsch Tubes Revisited

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 18:15:18 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 21:45:19 -0400, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Mar 2012 18:25:23 -0700, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:

"Winston" wrote in message ...
PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

When it comes down to it, despite the claims of the various vendors, I really do have serious doubts that any more heat is carried away from the workpiece by using the cold air out of a vortex tube than would be carried away by simply using the same amout of total of mass air flow that would have been output into a standard air nozzle at room temp directly from the compressor instead.

I imagine that ambient humidity in front of the nozzle might condense
and create the world's finest spray mist.
That'd carry away some heat, I'd think.

Any physics majors care to weigh in on the question?

What is interesting...

--is that last I checked, there still is no definitive agreement amoung the scientific community about how the damned things work at all, period...

If you want to hear another surprising mystery, no one knows why gage
blocks wring. At least, as of 2003 or so.

(Here come the theories... g)

Well, the air pressure theory was disproved. The last I read they were
theorizing about inter molecular adhesion and wondering about how to
prove it :-)

Yeah, that's pretty much it. Some years ago I posted here an article I
wrote about it over a decade ago, based on an interview with NIST's
scientist in charge of gage blocks and dimensional standards. He
basically said "Nobody has a clue." g

--
Ed Huntress