Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default Tap Magic - Thank You

Karl Townsend wrote in
:

That helps indeed. Especially if you can find the original
formula there. That is somewhat harder to find, because the 1,1,1
Trichlor is considered a carcinogen. But I don't need to use it very
often, and I've already got enough years on this chassis so I figure
that I'll risk it.

I also got exposed to a lot of it when developing printed
circuit board photo-resist.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Shoot, i didn't know they changed it. I swiped a couple quarts in 1982
and is has lasted till now. I'm down to maybe 1/2 the small tin left.
Any place other than eBay to search for it?

Actually, you are now dealing with at least Rev 3. The ORIGINAL Tap
Magic (early 1960's?) not only worked really well on both aluminum &
steel, but it smelled really nice, like cinnamon. I don't know why they
changed, but that's when they came out with the two flavors, one for
aluminum, and one for everything else. I remember the smoke & purple
bubbling mess when I tried some of the wrong stuff on aluminum. Now they
have Tap Magic "Pro Tap", which works on everything again.

I gave up years ago & now use Cool Tool for pretty much everything. Of
course it has been tweaked as well, and is now Cool Tool II.

Doug White