Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Spehro Pefhany Spehro Pefhany is offline

Default How bad is 0-80 to tap in aluminum?

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 19:00:51 -0500, the renowned Karl Townsend
wrote:

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 15:42:31 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

Looking at using some relatively small screws tapped into (probably)
6061 aluminum. Through holes, maybe 0.08" of material. Is it insanity
to think about using a cordless hand drill and run them right through
without backing off (assuming a good quality coated tap and aluminum
cutting fluid)?

I took the handle off a tap wrench and then pressed a 3/8 socket on
the end. Then I use a speed wrench for the handle. Holds the tap nice
and square. I can't remeber *ever* breaking a tap with this, haven't
went 0-80 but i wouldn't be afraid to have you try it VBG

Karl

One of those offset handle things? That's REALLY scary.

But if I could find a way to fit to my little 3.6V Hitachi DB30L (hex
shank drive)... it might be okay. It has a clutch, rocker reverse and
is light enough that there could be enough 'feel'.

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/im...aDP-4O2Y8jE9dA

Thanks, off to the drawing board (well, CAD package).

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany