Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ecnerwal[_3_] Ecnerwal[_3_] is offline

Default Hilsch Tubes Revisited

In article ,
Winston wrote:

Or go cheaper, smaller and colder with a 'saturated - salt ice water'
slurry in your ice chest.

Ice generally isn't "free"; salt is cheap, but also not free, and can be
corrosive to have around the shop; this is something Bob wants to run
every day (or nearly), and labor to drain the sal****er and load up the
fresh salt and ice also isn't free - so refrigeration wins, IMHO for
cheaper.

Smaller depends on the fridge you are using .vs. the cooler, ice source,
and salt storage, which can easily be larger than a small fridge.

It can also win on colder -21.1C is only -6F, and plenty of freezers can
be cranked colder than that. OF is just a typical setting.

It also wins on less messy.

If it were a one-day deal or the like, I'd agree with you, but I'd
choose refrigeration in a heartbeat for any regular use. I'm intimately
aware of the hassles of salt-ice refrigeration, and I'm quite certain
that if I were making ice cream and sorbet as a busness rather than for
myself, it would be an easy decision to spend the money for a
refrigerated mixer - for home use it's a lot of money, so I use salt and
ice.