Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Tap Magic - Thank You

Yep, stinky, thick, high sulfur thread cutting oil commonly used as a
cutting lube by HSMs. It's definitely effective, but also messy.

None-the-less, the ProTool Lube cleanly rinses away with water.

Yeah, proprietary and biodegradable, but that's not my reason for liking
it's usefulness.. and I probably wouldn't have bought the stuff if I'd
looked at the label and spotted the biodegradable claim (incorrectly
assuming that would likely mean non-effective).
The friend that gave me my first bottle didn't know if it was a decent
product (couldn't even remember where he'd gotten it), but I liked the stuff
from the first few times I used it.
Fastenal used to carry it, but they've stopped (even though they carry
numerous Lenox cutting lubes).. I found more PTL recently on eBag.

Lenox p/n 68040 6 fl oz bottle (also available in gal/128 oz and pails).

--
WB

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 06:02:29 -0400, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

snip

I've previously mentioned a great product I discovered only because a
friend
gave me a bottle of it.. Lenox ProTool Lube. The PTL product is much
cleaner
to use than thick sulfur oils..

(It's a proprietary synthetic of some kind.) Not to confuse the issue,
but sulfated cutting oils are not thick. You may be thinking of
sulfated thread-cutting oil, the kind that's sold for threading pipe.

--
Ed Huntress