Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tap Magic - Thank You

On Mar 13, 8:39*pm, "Bob La Londe" wrote:
A buddy of mine brought over some bending dies and asked me to change their
shape and size on the lathe. *He also brought a brand new can of Tap Magic
as a gift for helping him out. *The bending dies were very hard, and I tried
both oil and the Tap Magic. *We went with the TM if for no other reason than
it smelled better.

Yesterday I was making a stepped shoulder pin with a head out of a bolt for
an special application. *I was using the mini lathe just because I finally
got it into tolerable condition. *I made a rough pass that stalled the lathe
and tripped off the over load. *I reset it, put a couple drops of tap magic
on the work piece, and tried the pass again at the exact same DOC, feed,
RPM, etc. *The cutter not only breezed right through it, but it looked
really good.

I think the jury is still out for tapping aluminum, but time will tell. *I
have used it to tap some 10 32 holes nearly the full length of the cutting
portion of the tap, but I don't have that many holes on this tap yet.

Anyway, to whoever suggested Tap Magic. *Thank you. *I was planning on
ordering some sooner or later to try, and to my buddy who brought me a
can... a BIG THANK YOU. *I now also know its available locally. *Makes
getting more easier.

Also, it made a huge difference in parting steel.