Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve W.[_4_] Steve W.[_4_] is offline

Default Shop Photos (was New Photos TM Table Grinding Job)

Pete Keillor wrote:
On Tue, 13 Mar 2012 13:09:54 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Oh, that's prrrettty! I should have mine if it would look that nice.

Pete Keillor wrote:
http://metalworking.com/dropbox/TMGroundTable05.jpg

What!? You have your mill in the kitchen? That must be the kitchen -
no shop is ever that clean! BG

Second that, the area is WAY to clean. if you don't send a pic with
oily swarf on it, I won't believe the machine works.

Nice job

Karl

That picture looks like the one in the local school. We went though for
an inspection/preplan look a couple weeks ago. The "industrial arts"
classroom had a total of 1 drill press, one table saw, a HUGE old bench
grinder (looked like it would handle a 16" wheel but they had tiny 8"
ones on it) and a small wood lathe, No welding gear, no metal working
gear larger than a pair of tin snips and a couple files.

Then we went into the other half of the room. It had two rows of
computers ONLY. Talked to the guide (who is one of our guys who works
there) and he says they basically build pre made kits like tool boxes
and birdhouses and are shown how to run the other tools but they
generally don't use them. Instead they lead CAD drawing...

Then this same school wonders why things in the school are falling apart
and "nobody makes the parts locally"

I remember having a gas forge, Bridgeport, nice Clausing lathe with
plenty of tooling, horizontal band saw, shaper, stick, gas and MIG gear.
Racks full of steel and wood. Tools to do leather work, sheet metal
work, glass work (including blown glass) and more. Then there was the
wood shop section with two table saws, band saw, jig saws belt/disc
sanders and even a long belt table sander.

When they sold off the equipment they didn't announce it, they let a
select few know. Those folks grabbed the stuff dirt cheap.
--
Steve W.