Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hilsch Tubes Revisited

On 2012-03-13, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Ok... I'm still mulling over the possibility of a Hilsch tube on one of my
machines as the coolant and to blow chips away from the cutter. I see
many commercial ones are made out of stainless, but that just isn't in my
plans if I make one. Stainless is beyond my easy working level.

[ ... ]

There seems to be two designs out there. One has a circular passage with
angled holes drilled into the main tube. The other has a lopsided cam lobe
shaped chamber to spin the air. Any idea which one is more efficient?

Consider what might be easiest for you to make first. The
cam-shaped lobe sounds like it is calling for some fancy programming in
a CNC machine. (But then, you have the CNC machine, don't you?

The way I made mine was to turn a ring near (but not at) the OD
of the part to which the cold tube attaches, and then mill slots into
the ring so they ended up tangential to the ID of the ring -- then mate
that to a flat surface connected to the hot tube. This left a ring
cavity just outside that into which air was fed via a tapped hole in one
of the flats of the pipe junction.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564