Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Hilsch Tubes Revisited

On Mar 13, 8:48*am, "PrecisionmachinisT"
wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in ...

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
Ok... I'm still mulling over the possibility of a Hilsch tube on one of
my machines as the coolant and to blow chips away from the cutter. *I see
many commercial ones are made out of stainless, but that just isn't in my
plans if I make one. *Stainless is beyond my easy working level.

I have some large aluminum bar stock laying around, (left over from
another project) and I was thinking I could turn one out of it. *My
quandry is in this. *I only ran across a few mentions of heat sinking in
regards to Hilsch tubes. *One article said to heat sink the whole thing.
I think they just meant the whole heat separator/exchangers side of it..
It would be counter intuitive to heat sink the cold air outlet tube. *I
would think you would want to insulate that. *The thing is the physics of
it is beyond me. *I get the basics of both principle said to be at work.
It's the details.

I could easily turn heat sink fins on the outside. *I just wonder if that
will provide a lower ouput temperature, or if somehow it might reduce the
efficiency of the design somehow?

There seems to be two designs out there. *One has a circular passage with
angled holes drilled into the main tube. *The other has a lopsided cam
lobe shaped chamber to spin the air. *Any idea which one is more
efficient?

They both are terribly inefficient even if you also have a use for the hot
side- Hide quoted text -

Well, I have one small machine running flood coolant, but I would
really like to keep the other machine dry for other reasons. I can
build either design for starting the vortex. I had hoped somebody had
already experimented with them and knew which style produced a greater
temperature differential. I've got the plug design figured out to
make flow adjustment quick and easy, and I can use my NCT for checking
the output temps. I figured to just use a bathroom vent with auto
closing louvers to send the hot air outside and let the cold air
lightly pressurize (its not a sealed system) the cabinet.