Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

Default German language help?

"Ignoramus2551" wrote in message
On 2012-03-08, Ed Huntress wrote:
There is a story in the news today about a Chinese company that bought
a German construction-equipment company named Putzmeister.

Now, I thought I knew what a "putz" was, and I know what "meister"
means, but I can't believe the two of them were put together to form a
company name.

I hope that someone familiar with German can explain this.

I believe that it is mortar master. They make concrete pumps.

http://sanygroup.com/group/en-us/med...xt_content.htm
?1963 Birth of Putzmeister

In 1963, the name of KS-Maschinenbau was replaced by Putzmeister, which
means "master of mortar" in German. Putzmeister has never left the concrete
machinery industry ever since. Putzmeister's 'Elephant' concrete pump gained
its popularity in early 70s, and has gradually made the company one of the
global leaders in terms of market share, geographic coverage, technology
advance as well as product range in concrete pumping industry.