Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lieutenant Scott Lieutenant Scott is offline

Default ATTN: Rod Speed - "soggy island"

On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 19:48:51 -0000, John Williamson wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote:
On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 19:22:24 -0000, BartC wrote:

"Lieutenant Scott" wrote in message

That would make sense if there was a shortage of the stuff. This has to
be about the wettest country in the world.

The UK is the 74th wettest country in the world, with on average about
half the rainfall of Australia. We even get less rain than Germany.

I find it hard to believe Australia is wetter than here.

So why are they running out in the South-east?

Incompetence.

Not entirely. The number of litres of rain falling *per person* in the
South East of England is about the same as it is in Israel.

http://www.bestcountryreports.com/Pr...%20Kingdom.php

http://www.bestcountryreports.com/Pr...Map_Israel.php

Both maps use the same colours for the same actual rainfall. The South
East of England is more densely populated than Israel, so the bands for
rainfall per person are one paler on Israel than they would be in the UK.

The age of the water mains doesn't help, with the latest estimates still
showing about 20% of the water in London never getting to the consumers'
taps, but that's more due to lack of investment by the government over
the last five or six decades than the incomepetence of the water boards.

Also most water does not go through dams. We must be using a very small proportion of the water that rains.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

Please keep your hands off the secretary's reproducing equipment.