Posted to uk.d-i-y
BartC BartC is offline

Default ATTN: Rod Speed - "soggy island"

"Lieutenant Scott" wrote in message
newsp.wa2grnhkytk5n5@i7-940...
On Mon, 12 Mar 2012 16:19:52 -0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article op.wa2dmdu6ytk5n5@i7-940, "Lieutenant Scott"
wrote:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/water-firms...122917413.html

Our water companies don't think we're soggy.

Yes, it's because it hasn't rained much recently. And because the great
British public is somewhat resistant to water meters (all houses should
have them).

No they shouldn't! Firstly water is the most important thing for life,
you shouldn't be metering something that we absolutely need.

All the more reason to meter a resource that people might otherwise be
tempted to squander. (The average person probably uses 100 times more
water - directly in his house - than he actually needs to live.)

What'sits being an island to do with it.

The further you are from the ocean, the less rainfall you get.

You can still get droughts on small islands (who then have to import it via
ships).

We get droughts in the UK simply because we get a lot of rain (and therefore
don't bother to build big enough reservoirs). And piping water all over the
country is expensive; we'd all have to pay for it.

--
Bartc