Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Rubber belting, where to buy (USA), etc

There are round polyurethane belting products available for using as
replacements for light/medium V-belts.

The recommended pulley sizes are possibly being stated for power
transmission, as in round belting in a V-belt pulley groove needs a minimum
surface contact area to transfer a certain amount of power (definite
maybe).. and V-belts exhibit nearly full surface contact in V-pulleys.

Since you're not wanting to use a round rubbery product for delivering
power, I believe you can disregard those recommendations, within reason (not
trying to run a fat belt around a tiny wheel).

The urethane product I'm familiar with is supplied on spools so any length
of belt can be fabricated.
There was a "special" heating tool.. a fairly large soldering iron with a
thin flat plate mounted as a tip.
The belting would be cut slightly shorter than the circumference of the
V-belt it was to replace.
The ends need to be cut squarely, then placed into a small jig/fixture to
hold the ends in proper axial alignment and the hot flat tip of the iron was
used to heat both ends simultaneously.
When the ends showed sufficient melting was taking place, the iron was
pulled out and the ends were jammed together until the joint cooled..
plastic welding basically, very similar to bandsaw blade welding.

There would be a little upset flash flaring out at the joint that was
trimmed away after cooling, then the belt is checked for strength.

Since the endless round PU belting has no cords, it's a bit stretchy, thus
the need for making the circumference a little shorter to keep it tensioned
in use.

As someone suggested, you may be able to find molded O-ring PU shapes in the
profile(s) you might want to try.. such products are already made as
impact/bumper guard-type items or maybe even toss ring toys (for family fun
in a coneheads get-together), dog chew toys etc.

Industrial suppliers are likely to have round urethane belting available for
purchase by the foot (but not Fastenal last time I checked a couple months
ago).
A metal joining heating/melting plate (not a flame) could be improvised and
suitable after a little practice.

If it needs to be said.. don't breathe the fumes resulting from heated
plastics.

I'm guessing, but fairly sure you wouldn't want to rely on a trial and
ouch-error adhesive for an application you're suggesting.
I'd be more confident in a fused/welded material with no "this oughta work"
secondary compound applied.

I doubt there would be any thump-thump noticed if the weld join and trimming
are done properly, as the entire length would likely be about the same
density/hardness.

--
WB

"John Doe" wrote in message
b.com...
Search results produce search results within search results.

Where to buy round rubber belting online? So far, I have one or
two possibilities, McMaster-Carr and Cadence Supply Company.

Also. How can you tell the minimum pulley outer diameter of a
rubber belt? McMaster-Carr says that their 3/16 inch rubber belts
have a minimum pulley diameter of 1 1/2 inches. Is there some
rule, like a belt that is twice as thick requires a pulley that is
twice as wide?

Any other information about rubber belting is appreciated. Like
resources for gluing the ends together. I will check YouTube.

Thanks.