Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] mkoblic@gmail.com is offline

Default German language help?

On Thu, 8 Mar 2012 19:04:10 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller
wrote:

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in
.3.70:

Ed Huntress fired this volley in
:

Now, I thought I knew what a "putz" was, and I know what "meister"
means, but I can't believe the two of them were put together to form a
company name.

I hope that someone familiar with German can explain this.

I have only a smattering of German from back in the 80s, but "Putz" means
"Put".

It means nothing of the sort. The German word meaning "to put" is "stecken".

"Putzen" means "to clean".

This.

E.g Putzfrau is a cleaning woman. Putzmeister suggests "cleaning
master". (NB "Meister Proper" is German Mr. Clean).

Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC