Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy[_2_] Robatoy[_2_] is offline

Default Roadkill question

On Mar 9, 11:16*pm, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 17:13:59 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

wrote:
Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 9 Mar 2012 10:21:40 -0800 (PST), Michael
wrote:

Hypothetically, if you hit a deer while driving, would you be
tempted to take it home and butcher it?

No, and I love venison. *But the people who hit deer usually butcher
them in the woods, while it's fresh and uncontaminated by feces. Urban
neighbors and trash men seem to have a thing about antlers and rotting
guts in the trashcans, too. Plus, it's illegal in some states to
harvest it without a hunting license, so you could be fined.

We field dress them in the woods - not butcher them. *Then we drag them
through everything on the ground, to get them home to wash them and butcher
them. *Mine do get washed very well once they get home, and actually, they
don't get dragged very far these days. *I have technology to make that job
easier.

Not illegal to take roadkill in any state, unless it's something like an
eagle. *Roadkill is not hunting and that is what is goverened by states.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadkill_cuisine
Read it and weep, bubba.

That said, roadkill is nasty. *The side of the road is the best place for
it.

Amen. *And I love the new (to me) term, "flattened fauna", don't you?

--
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.

From my grille to your grille