Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug Miller[_4_] Doug Miller[_4_] is offline

Default German language help?

Ed Huntress wrote in
:

On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 09:13:15 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ed Huntress fired this volley in
m:

Now, I thought I knew what a "putz" was, and I know what "meister"
means, but I can't believe the two of them were put together to form a
company name.

I hope that someone familiar with German can explain this.

I have only a smattering of German from back in the 80s, but "Putz" means
"Put".

So I'd believe that their equipment is designed to "put" stuff... lift
it, move it, place it...

LLoyd

Aha! That would make sense. Their primary product is concrete pumps.

It would make more sense if it were correct.

And it's a big relief. I was afraid they were "masters of idiots." g

I'm afraid your understanding of its meaning isn't correct either. "Putz", as a noun, in German
means a small child; it can also mean dirty clothes (see a connection there?). In Yiddish, it's
vulgar slang for "penis".