Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default German language help?

On 3/8/2012 7:37 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Thu, 08 Mar 2012 09:13:15 -0600, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

Ed fired this volley in
:

Now, I thought I knew what a "putz" was, and I know what "meister"
means, but I can't believe the two of them were put together to form a
company name.

I hope that someone familiar with German can explain this.

I have only a smattering of German from back in the 80s, but "Putz" means
"Put".

No, it doesn't. The verb "putzen" means "to clean". It means a whole
lot of things pertaining to cleaning as well.

"Putz" also means plaster. Putzmeister is a manufacturer of concrete
pumps and other pumps for slurry, sewage, etc. A Putzer is a plasterer.

So I'd believe that their equipment is designed to "put" stuff... lift
it, move it, place it...

LLoyd

Aha! That would make sense. Their primary product is concrete pumps.

And it's a big relief. I was afraid they were "masters of idiots."g

Thanks, Lloyd.