Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recommendations for a base for a shed to encourage a long life(of the shed!)

On 06/03/2012 13:48, larkim wrote:
Having spent all last weekend tearing down and cutting up an old shed, I now want to replace it with a shiny new model.

The "base" that the existing shed was on was merely leveled ground with apparently rolls of shed roofing felt laid over it to create a barrier. Bear in mind we estimate that the shed was at least 40 years old.

The shed manufacturers have been fairly non-committal about what they want as a base (essentially anything solid-ish and level will do them), so curious if there are any particular recommendations or pitfalls to avoid.

I've got quite a few spare paving flags lying around, so very tempted to use those for substantial parts of the job. Do you need to consider water penetrating if sitting on a solid surface such as this?

Any help gratefully received!

Matt

Concrete fence posts laid on the ground. Good ventilation, they can't
rot. You can often find damaged ones cheap.