Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default And The Creek Keeps Ris'n

basilisk wrote in
:

On Wed, 7 Mar 2012 08:13:49 -0600, Dave in Texas wrote:

"basilisk" wrote in message
.. .

On Tue, 6 Mar 2012 20:14:49 -0800, Lew Hodgett wrote:

snip history of gas prices at the Arco.

There is currently no working alternative energy solutions for
transportation. None.

basilisk

Uh, propane?

A product of petroleum.

LNG?

Can't carry LNG in a vehicle as it has to vent to maintain
temperature. Natural gas won't liquify under pressure alone as propane
will. Price and availability is also controled by the same energy
brokers as oil is.

Gasoline too needs a vent. The fact that there has been LNG (also called
autogas) available throughout most of Europe for decades proves it can be
done. Since I have an affinity for Holland, here is a Dutch link:
http://www.autogas.nl/

Electric?

Which is provided by coal and nuclear.
Most electricity is generated by coal, this isn't going to change in
any of or lifetimes.

hybrid-Electric?

Coal, nuclear and petroleum

Maybe not the ultimate alternate but we gots to start somewhere.

Maybe when fusion nuclear power is perfected, along with better
batteries, but as Leon says the price will still be dictated by the
powers that be.

Dave in Texas

Electric cars would be much better to reuse braking for energy-
regeneration. Moreover, the efficiency of electric cars is greater than
gasoline powered cars. Remains the battery/range problem. So far
electrics areno good as general travel vehicles other than very local.

--
Best regards
Han