Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Update on driving a semi tractor

On 3/3/2012 10:28 PM, Ignoramus20398 wrote:

OK, I will bite, why would the service brakes not do the job and stop
the truck, at least once?

All depends on how heavily loaded, how steep a grade and what head of
steam you've gotten built up before you try as well as how good your
brakes actually are...

I spent 30+ years down that way and have never gone over I40 east from
K-town heading to Raleigh w/o either seeing a rig still sitting in one
of the runaway ramps or at the least very recent tracks--seems many of
those guys just don't get that it's steeper coming down those "little"
hills in the Smokies than it was where they came across the Rockies or
Sierra-Nevadas.