Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] damduck-egg@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Greedy parakeets in S.E.London - how to deter them.

On Mon, 27 Feb 2012 08:23:58 -0000, "Paul D Smith"
wrote:

...snip... With around 15 million Blue Tits over wintering in Britain, I
rather
suspect that stopping parakeets from eating at one bird feeder would not
count as an essential conservation measure.

Colin Bignell

We had similar problems with feral pigeons so we bought a squirrel-proof
bird feeder. The pigeons are too large to get at the seed. A parakeet
might get through but worth a try.

I use large long cable ties to deter pigeons from a feeder support
bracket from which they could get at a feeder ,tightened them so the
ends stick out spike style. Small birds can get in amongst them and
some are even light enough to stay perched on them as they bend down.
The pigeons are too heavy and the sticking out tie interferes with
their wing movement so they can't stay near the feeder. They are then
forced to eat from a pole mounted catch tray which catches any
spillage so there is no waste to attract Rats. Fortunately we don't
have hordes of feral pigeons ,just a couple of wood* ones known
Laurenne and Hardy and a couple of collared doves.
*That is wood as in breed not what they are made of before the
comedians chip in.

G.Harman