Bob Davis

Default Ok, so how much more do I need to get started making real wood projects

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

One of those things that you can do is... build more tools. You
write that "Gluing requires clamps, maybe expensive cabinet
clamps." Perhaps; but probably not. In many situations you can
build the clamps you need from scraps and some inexpensive
threaded rod from your local hardware store. Develop the habit of
exercising your creativity with every aspect of every problem.

You are right. I've built a number of jigs and gizmos. But this primarily
taught me to use the tablesaw. I've decided my next project will be a
workbench.

Now it's time to have some fun. Don't be afraid to start small -
make a small but beautiful jewelery box for SWMBO

That's high on the list. Whether I need it or not, I'm going to buy some
kind of a hand plane to do this project.

Sign and date all your work - even the jigs and fixtures you make
for your own use. This practise will have the most incredible
effect on the quality of your work.

That's great! It will help move me from an engineering approach to an
artistic approach. My education is in engineering, but I raised a family of
artists. I might be considered an equal, if I did something that had a
signature on it.

Thanks!
Bob