Bob Davis

Default Ok, so how much more do I need to get started making real wood projects

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Bob Davis wrote:

I have no means for doing a mortise and tenon joint.

I could swear you said you had a table saw and a drill press. A
shop-built tenoning jig for the TS is easy; and your drill press
should provide you with an easy way to rough-in mortises...

But don't I need a chisel to finish the mortise? You are right about
tenoning-in fact I had already built a tenoning-jig 3 months ago. I just
never got to the mortising part.

I have no means for making two faces parallel to each other.

Are you sure your table saw came without a fence? This making two
faces parallel is pretty much what that fence is for...

Works well for faces up to 2 1/2 inches wide or so. It doesn't do me much
good for 6" boards. I think I at least need a hand plane to finish the job.

"Fat city" is always on the horizon. It's like "tomorrow".

grin

I don't really want to come across as antagonistic - but how much
of what /can/ be done today toward making this table has been
done? I'm assuming you have a plan and cut list in hand. Have you
cut apron boards? Blanks for legs? Boards to glue up for the top?

Now, here is my mentality. I am a project executive for a large company and
I spend my career planning and looking ahead for things that might go wrong.
It transfers into how I do things for a hobby. I love to plan a project and
do a dry run in my head, then get the materials I need. I'm not the kind of
guy that just dives in without a plan and knowing all the materials/tools
I'm going to need before hand. Why? Because I just can't seem to "go out and
buy a cheap stanley plane" to get one job done. Instead I'll determine when
and what type I'll need it, then read and study until I determine brand that
I want to buy. I'll also study how to maintain it, use it safely, what all
I can do with it. I'll probably practice on boards for two days before I'll
ever use it on a project. That's me and its part of "my fun". After that,
whatever I buy will be an ingrained into my skillset and I'll be quite
happy. As an example, I must have ripped and crosscutted dozens of boards
while I tried to understand how to do it with repeatable quality and safety.
This also raised my confidence level.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions and the tone with which they were
rendered. I appreciate it.

Bob