Morris Dovey

Default Ok, so how much more do I need to get started making real woodprojects

Bob Davis wrote:

I want to get started making real hardwood projects - either a
furniture piece or fine decorative box.

I have a decent table saw, drill press, and jointer. I have a
decent router, a few bits and, of course, an electric drill.
The number of "hidden" costs in this woodworking pursuit has
been staggering to me. It all started when I bought a table
saw and discovered I needed a blade. Planes require some kind
of sharpening equipment or system. Planes require a decent
bench and vice to hold the work. Good planes are NOT cheap.
Gluing requires clamps, maybe expensive cabinet clamps. It
seems every time I turn around, its $40 here, $60 there, and
on and on.

Bob...

Consider that you have the basics. There will always be tools
that you admire and accessories that would make this or that job
easier.

It's all too easy to become the self-employed curator of a tool
museum. Even if you have money to burn, it's time to slow your
spending to a crawl for everything except wood, glue, and
finishing materials.

Now it's time to begin discovering what you can do with the tools
you already have.

One of those things that you can do is... build more tools. You
write that "Gluing requires clamps, maybe expensive cabinet
clamps." Perhaps; but probably not. In many situations you can
build the clamps you need from scraps and some inexpensive
threaded rod from your local hardware store. Develop the habit of
exercising your creativity with every aspect of every problem.

Now it's time to have some fun. Don't be afraid to start small -
make a small but beautiful jewelery box for SWMBO (and don't
forget to put some small thing inside to complete the package -
even a dried flower is better than an empty box. DAMHIKT) Make
gifts for family and friends. It's ok to let them know that the
object was a learning exercise - they'll still be pleased that
you thought of them while you were making shavings.

Sign and date all your work - even the jigs and fixtures you make
for your own use. This practise will have the most incredible
effect on the quality of your work. Take lots of pictures and
keep paper copies in your notebook. Give "in progress" picture
copies with the gifts you've made.

At some point you'll have a project that you'll know (you may not
be able to explain /how/ you know - but you'll know) could *only*
be done with teak. When that day comes, pause to pat yourself on
the back for having a 50 bf stash set aside for just this project.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA