Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default OT New French breathalyser law

Jonathan wrote
Tim Watts wrote
Rod Speed wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

Yes I heard about this. Surely with the current tech, we should be
able to make a vehicle that won't allow drunk people to start it up?

They'd just get a sober person to start the car and
then change drivers without turning the ignition off.

You cant even just turn the ignitiion off when there is no one in
the drivers seat, that would be too risky seat sensor failure wise
and you'd just see people flogging a bit of plastic pipe that allows
you to blow in the breathalyser while standing beside the driver.

Please standby for the ultimate hacking device; you saw it hear first:

Dunno, see below.

http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/190645130519

I had always though that a can of compressed air as
used by photogrphoic developers was the answer.

Really depends on the breathalyser technology used.

Our cops currently mostly use a hand held device where you
just count to 10 with the cop holding it in front of your mouth.

That clearly would not work for a car drunk detector.

But the older style the cops used before that requires you to
blow into a dispolosable plastic tube attached to the breathalyser
and its unlikely that a can of compressed air could pressurise those
enough to statisfy the machine that someone is blowing in it.

Tim's approach should work fine although if the breathalyser was
particularly sensitive like is seen with the ones you just count into, you'd
want to be careful to have the drunk not breath over it when pumping.

Wouldnt be that hard to have one that has a decent length of intake
pipe so you could stick that out the window when pumping tho.

Guess it might be feasible to use the count into technology to monitor
the driver's breath all the time and cut the ignition when it detects drunk
breath, but that likely wouldnt work when the driver is sober and the
passengers are drunks, and could likely be circumvented by having
an electric powered fan blowing air from outside the car over the
sensor as the car is in motion etc.

You's just have to be sure you dont drive thru a beerfest etc.