Vic Baron

Default Harbor Freight 6" jointer

Today I installed the jointer to the base, completed the wiring and started
making wood chips. Even thought the cast iron jointer assembly is too heavy
for me to lift alone ( I'm 67 folks) I was able to rock it onto the base
with no problem or undue strain, either on myself or the hardware. Bought
two add-ons, link belt and a mobile base.

I was pleased at the quality of the machining on the table tops and the
fence. I had seen some really bad stuff from China before but this was very
nice. Cleaned the protective coating off the machined parts, installed the
fence. Checked that everything moved without bumping into anything else and
pushed the start button. Since no fuses blew and it passed the smoke test. I
powered down, unplugged and proceeded to check the fence and tables for
alignment. Out of the box I needed a little tweak to adjust the fence to 90
deg and the outfeed table was a tad low. Made the adjustments and proceeded
to joint some walnut, maple and pine.

Everything seems ok so I can rest for the day and get started on some more
projects tomorrow.

Time will tell the overall quality of this piece. I've had good luck and bad
luck with HF. You can't paint all their stuff with the "you get what you pay
for label". Sometimes they have a decent product for the price. We will see.

Just thought someone might be interested in the assembly project.

Vic Baron

"Vic Baron" wrote in message
. com...
HF was having a sale on their 6" jointer and stand for 179 so I decided to
pick one up. Thought I'd post my experiences as I set it up.

First of all, it was packed extremely well. The shipping case was angle

iron
with wood in between. Very sturdy. Although I'm used to working alone,

this
thing is HEAVY - about 96kg which I believe is about 200lbs. The main
jointer tables and cutterhead com pre assembled but you do have to set up
the stand and lift the jointer on top. It took me about 2 1/2 hours to
assemble the stand. The instructions were clear and all the parts were
there. The parts fit and assembled with no problem. All I had time to do
today was get the unit unpacked and assemble the stand.

When I mount the jointer to the stand and set it up, I'll post more.

Overall impression was very good. The quality of the nuts and bolts and

the
metal cabinet is very good.

Vic Baron

--
Of course, I may be wrong, I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.