Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nightjar Nightjar is offline

Default Greedy parakeets in S.E.London - how to deter them.

On 24/02/2012 21:58, Andy Champ wrote:
On 24/02/2012 18:19, Nightjar wrote:
David Chapman wrote:

Does anyone know of any proven, and not outrageously expensive, bird
feeders that will allow us to feed our blue tits and NOT the parakeets?
I'm very willing to build a DIY device if anyone knows of a design that
actually does work.

.22 air rifle and shoot the buggers. I think they are calssed as vermin
anyway....

The Monk Parakeet and the Ring-Necked Parakeet are included in the
General Licence for the prevention of 'serious damage to livestock,
foodstuffs for livestock, crops, vegetables, fruit, growing timber,
fisheries or inland waters'.

The Monk Parakeet only is in the General Licence 'to preserve public
health or public safety'.

I don't think that stopping them from eating food put out for other wild
birds comes under either licence.

There are thought to be only about 100 Monk Parakeet in Britain, so
these are probably Ring-Necked Parakeet, which is a pity as Monk
Parakeet droppings could be classed as a public health hazard. That
means that Dave would need to kill them only for the purposes of
protecting any growing crops, vegetables or fruit he may have in his
garden and not for the purpose of stopping them from eating the bird
food.

Colin Bignell

http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/Ima...tcm6-24151.pdf

"To kill or take certain birds to conserve flora
and fauna (including wild birds)... this licence permits:
(i) Authorised persons to kill or take any of the wild birds listed...
Parakeet, Monk...
Parakeet, Ring-necked ..."

With around 15 million Blue Tits over wintering in Britain, I rather
suspect that stopping parakeets from eating at one bird feeder would not
count as an essential conservation measure.

Colin Bignell