Bernard Randall

Default Ok, so how much more do I need to get started making real wood projects

"xrongor" wrote in message
snip

but if i had to guess, based on my interpretation of what you consider
'there', i would say you are probably more like 3-4000$ away. 2000

minimum.
some from the seemingly endless number of 10-40$ bits, blades, clamps,

jigs,
etc.. that you 'have to have' . and some because if you really want to

'be
there' you probably want a planer and a drill press, and a dust system,

and
a better fence for your saw, and a bandsaw. and even if you just want to
get by with hand tools in some cases, you still need at least 2-3 of those
big items.

oh man.. its expensive

so my advice, buy next what you need next. if you think you can get by
without something, try and get by, after going the cheap route, weight in
the cost of the item against what you just went through and decide if its
worth the money to you.

randy

snip

My own MO is NOT to buy a tool unless I absolutely need to, with a few basic
hand tools it is possible to do just about anything to wood. If I find that
the volume of work requires the tool THEN buy it, e.g. I used to cut all my
mortices by hand until I replaced all my windows in my house in the UK, at
that time I was faced with making 40 windows, two double story bays, then it
was worth a morticer. Same with a bandsaw, it just takes time to rip a 8"
board, or cut curves with a coping saw, but if you have a large volume to do
then a bandsaw makes sense. Try it by hand, if its too much then buy, that
way you end up with tools that get a lot of use instead of trying to find
space for things that are seldom used, been there done that.

Bernard R