Larry Laminger

Default Ok, so how much more do I need to get started making real woodprojects

Bob Davis wrote:

I want to get started making real hardwood projects - either a furniture
piece or fine decorative box. Most of what I have built to date would be
classed as carpentry or lawn and garden type furniture. So I've purchased
some decent power tools and last week bought my first "real" wood - 50 bf of
teak. I took a piece and ran it through the jointer and put a Roman ogee
edge on it just to play around. I was pumped by the beauty of the wood.

Now I'm frustrated. I feel like I am halfway there in having the right tools
and skills. Skills come with trying. Tools have to be purchased.

snip

Bob

Bob,
I'm on my third go around at setting up a shop. The first one I had was
inherited from my dad when he passed away. That one was lost in a
flood. My second one took me 18 years to build up but my "X" managed to
empty it out in less than one weekend. About 7 years ago I started on
shop #3. I've set some guidelines for myself to follow:

#1. There are many things I "want" for my shop, and there are things
that I "need" to complete a particular project. Let the project's needs
over-ride the shop's wants.

#2. All I really "need" are basic tools that will cut, carve, bore and
smooth wood. The tools I "want" just make the job easier. (Don't tell my
wife I said that.)

#3. There's more than one way to accomplish anything that can be done
to a piece of wood. I just have to be creative and aware of what the
tools I already have are capable of doing.

#4. Take time to learn all I can about every tool I own. Read, ask
questions, play with it, build jigs for it... That makes following
guideline #3 much easier.

#5. I only buy tools that I believe will survive the trip to the
after-life...'cause I'm takin' these with me :~)

....and I had to add this one after reading your post

#6 Practice on inexpensive woods, not the stuff that goes for about
seven gazillion dollars(US)/B.F.

--
Larry G. Laminger
http://woodworks.laminger.com