Bernard Randall

Default Ok, so how much more do I need to get started making real wood projects

"Bob Davis" wrote in message
news
"Pounds on Wood" wrote in message

Oh, one more last piece. Put that Teak away for a rainy day and go buy

some
Maple.

Bill,

Thanks for the good useful, advice. Can you expand on the comment about

the
Teak? Is it difficult to work or what? I wanted to do something out of

any
wood except oak. Oak is not exciting to me and probably never will be.

The
teak was cheaper than other wood I found at the local retail outlets.

Bob

You must have been very fortunate, the latest price I had for teak is $17.00
BF. For the right project teak is THE wood, apart from its price, its
drawback is it draws up sand in the growing stage and therefore blunts tools
very quickly, which is one of the reasons I mentioned Japanese chisels in my
earlier post. By contrast rough sawn maple is in the order of $3.50 BF and
is a good easily worked fine grained wood for interior use.

Bernard R