xrongor

Default Ok, so how much more do I need to get started making real wood projects

i can totally relate. i was sitting here a month ago asking myself exactly
the same questions. its daunting to think of plunking down a couple grand
on some tools, only to find you still need another grand for more... every
time you turn around its something else. its still preventing me from
moving. but you already have a big jump on me. i dont have a decent table
saw (which is see as being the single most expensive thing i will buy once i
get a decent fence, blade, etc..), or a jointer..

ive only been coming to this group for a month or two, but based on the sage
advice ive been given by people in this group, i would say this. forget
about your tools, ask yourself what you want to build. buy what you need
and dont have to build that. next time you'll have that tool and eventually
you'll have all you need. the longer you do it the less you have to buy.

but if i had to guess, based on my interpretation of what you consider
'there', i would say you are probably more like 3-4000$ away. 2000 minimum.
some from the seemingly endless number of 10-40$ bits, blades, clamps, jigs,
etc.. that you 'have to have' . and some because if you really want to 'be
there' you probably want a planer and a drill press, and a dust system, and
a better fence for your saw, and a bandsaw. and even if you just want to
get by with hand tools in some cases, you still need at least 2-3 of those
big items.

oh man.. its expensive

so my advice, buy next what you need next. if you think you can get by
without something, try and get by, after going the cheap route, weight in
the cost of the item against what you just went through and decide if its
worth the money to you.

randy

"Bob Davis" wrote in message
link.net...
I want to get started making real hardwood projects - either a furniture
piece or fine decorative box. Most of what I have built to date would be
classed as carpentry or lawn and garden type furniture. So I've purchased
some decent power tools and last week bought my first "real" wood - 50 bf

of
teak. I took a piece and ran it through the jointer and put a Roman ogee
edge on it just to play around. I was pumped by the beauty of the wood.

Now I'm frustrated. I feel like I am halfway there in having the right

tools
and skills. Skills come with trying. Tools have to be purchased. So I am
completely open to using hand tools to get there and making do, if its

using
a good pocket knife. But I'm not sure how much I lack. I have a decent
table saw, drill press, and jointer. I have a decent router, a few bits
and, of course, an electric drill. The number of "hidden" costs in this
woodworking pursuit has been staggering to me. It all started when I

bought
a table saw and discovered I needed a blade. Planes require some kind of
sharpening equipment or system. Planes require a decent bench and vice to
hold the work. Good planes are NOT cheap. Gluing requires clamps, maybe
expensive cabinet clamps. It seems every time I turn around, its $40

here,
$60 there, and on and on.

I'm ready to just settle down to paying money for wood and building

things.
I cannot help but feel I'm at least $1000 from getting there. More
importantly, I'm not sure how it will have to be spent.

Lastly, guys be gentle and understanding. I'm frustrated and ignorant.

I've
spent more than my share of time searching Google, scouring websites,
prowling the stores, reading books and watching videos. Please don't call

me
lazy or stupid or a Normite. I am none of these and certainly don't want

see another round of that kind of crap get started.

Bob