Bernard Randall

Default Ok, so how much more do I need to get started making real wood projects

Bob,

When I started my own shop I had much less than you, in fact it was nearly
all hand tools, tenon & rip saw, some chisels, hand plane, drill and square
Most of the greatest furniture ever made was done with not much more than
these basics.

The first project I ever made was a work bench, the frame was 2x4s and a
made up top. Unless you intend to be a wood machinist, I suggest that
making your own bench is a good place to start, there are plenty of plans
available and also all the hardware to incorporate vises and other hold
downs.

Be selective where you spend your budget, good quality cutting and measuring
tools are an investment. By that I mean saws and chisels, I have converted
to Japanese saws and chisels because typically their saws are very narrow
kerf and their chisels hold an edge much longer on hardwoods. Chisels and
hand planes need sharpening and the scary sharp method is excellent, I use
granite floor tiles @$1.00, on sale, from HD to stick the abrasive. Now
days I only use pipe clamps for the bigger work, its cheap and easy to get
the right size. I picked up a piece of ebony I use as a mallet, much cheaper
and just as effective as the expensive 'purpose made' items.

Learn to use a scraper, these cheap little tools can save you a whole lot of
sanding, that said a 1/4 sheet sander saves a lot of work. For clean up
work on made up panels I use the Stanley 80 scraper plane.

You already have a DP, one of the most important joint in most projects in
the mortice and tenon. A few forstner bits of the right size makes it very
easy to cut the mortice without a dedicated morticer. If your not familiar,
unlike a normal drill bit a Forstner can drill perfect segments of holes, so
you can set up a fence and run a mortice with a series of overlapping holes
that requires minimal cleanup.

Hope this gives you a few ideas.

Bernard R

"Bob Davis" wrote in message
link.net...
I want to get started making real hardwood projects - either a furniture
piece or fine decorative box. Most of what I have built to date would be
classed as carpentry or lawn and garden type furniture. So I've purchased
some decent power tools and last week bought my first "real" wood - 50 bf

of
teak. I took a piece and ran it through the jointer and put a Roman ogee
edge on it just to play around. I was pumped by the beauty of the wood.

Now I'm frustrated. I feel like I am halfway there in having the right

tools
and skills. Skills come with trying. Tools have to be purchased. So I am
completely open to using hand tools to get there and making do, if its

using
a good pocket knife. But I'm not sure how much I lack. I have a decent
table saw, drill press, and jointer. I have a decent router, a few bits
and, of course, an electric drill. The number of "hidden" costs in this
woodworking pursuit has been staggering to me. It all started when I

bought
a table saw and discovered I needed a blade. Planes require some kind of
sharpening equipment or system. Planes require a decent bench and vice to
hold the work. Good planes are NOT cheap. Gluing requires clamps, maybe
expensive cabinet clamps. It seems every time I turn around, its $40

here,
$60 there, and on and on.

I'm ready to just settle down to paying money for wood and building

things.
I cannot help but feel I'm at least $1000 from getting there. More
importantly, I'm not sure how it will have to be spent.

Lastly, guys be gentle and understanding. I'm frustrated and ignorant.

I've
spent more than my share of time searching Google, scouring websites,
prowling the stores, reading books and watching videos. Please don't call

me
lazy or stupid or a Normite. I am none of these and certainly don't want

see another round of that kind of crap get started.

Bob