Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Electric cars again

On 25/02/2012 08:34, Tim Watts wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

On 24/02/2012 23:47, wrote:
On 24 Feb 2012 21:26:19 GMT, Bob wrote:

http://theunderstatement.com/post/18...-tesla-motors-

devastating-design

That is just one ****ed-up bit of design if something as simple as a
battery disconnect on depletion to a setpoint is not included.

would make no difference - the battery will eventually die (permanently)
even if not connected since it will self discharge.

In 11 weeks from say half charge? That's quite a significant discharge
rate...

IIUC the 11 weeks is the result from both self discharge and background
load. In the absence of background load it would obviously last longer
(hence my comment of "eventually"). The point I was really making that
just disconnecting the load alone will not fix the problem totally.

One could accept if you garaged it for a year or more that this could be an
issue, but the article suggests there is too much idle load on the batteries
in the form of systems running.

yup

--
Cheers,