Bob Davis

Default Ok, so how much more do I need to get started making real wood projects

I want to get started making real hardwood projects - either a furniture
piece or fine decorative box. Most of what I have built to date would be
classed as carpentry or lawn and garden type furniture. So I've purchased
some decent power tools and last week bought my first "real" wood - 50 bf of
teak. I took a piece and ran it through the jointer and put a Roman ogee
edge on it just to play around. I was pumped by the beauty of the wood.

Now I'm frustrated. I feel like I am halfway there in having the right tools
and skills. Skills come with trying. Tools have to be purchased. So I am
completely open to using hand tools to get there and making do, if its using
a good pocket knife. But I'm not sure how much I lack. I have a decent
table saw, drill press, and jointer. I have a decent router, a few bits
and, of course, an electric drill. The number of "hidden" costs in this
woodworking pursuit has been staggering to me. It all started when I bought
a table saw and discovered I needed a blade. Planes require some kind of
sharpening equipment or system. Planes require a decent bench and vice to
hold the work. Good planes are NOT cheap. Gluing requires clamps, maybe
expensive cabinet clamps. It seems every time I turn around, its $40 here,
$60 there, and on and on.

I'm ready to just settle down to paying money for wood and building things.
I cannot help but feel I'm at least $1000 from getting there. More
importantly, I'm not sure how it will have to be spent.

Lastly, guys be gentle and understanding. I'm frustrated and ignorant. I've
spent more than my share of time searching Google, scouring websites,
prowling the stores, reading books and watching videos. Please don't call me
lazy or stupid or a Normite. I am none of these and certainly don't want to
see another round of that kind of crap get started.

Bob