Posted to uk.d-i-y
GlowingBlueMist[_2_] GlowingBlueMist[_2_] is offline

Default Arched doorway

On 2/25/2012 9:11 AM, H. Neary wrote:
Is there a simple way of fitting a door to an arched internal walkway?

I could probably use off the shelf items for the doors and straight
bits, but how would the frame be fitted to the arch? Is there a wood
that can be shaped to accomodate the door then soaked or steamed to
get it to follow the contour?

REgards

HN

If you are just going to paint the door frame rather than stain it to
match some other woodwork I would consider a form of plastic wood.
You can get composit plastic/wood combinations but an all plastic
material will bend better and if heated properly will take to the arch
with little trouble.

I know the following long url link is to a USA site but the info is
still valid. About half way down the page is some info about bending
the stuff.

http://americanwoodworker.com/blogs/...ic-lumber.aspx

Visit your local home center and see what they have to offer in this
kind of product. It sure beats laminating or multiple saw cuts until
you can bend "real" wood.