Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Brown Martin Brown is offline

Default Electric cars again

On 25/02/2012 12:57, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 10:13:27 +0000, Martin Brown wrote:

I suppose it is possible that the charger is too clever by half and sees
even a small resistive load in the cable as nearly charged battery.

I thought the "extension cable" was between the mains supply and the
car which contained the charger. Thus thuis being the US and 110v the
volt drop on the cable when (trying to) pull a decent current was to
great perhaps causing the charger to drop out due to low supply
volts.

High current devices like aircons and I would expect electric car
battery chargers in countries like the USA are usually run on 220v
across the antiphase pair rather than off a single phase domestic mains.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown