Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default band sawing annealed 304 SS?

On 2/23/2012 8:55 PM, Karl Townsend wrote:

I've got a whole bunch of 304 sheet. I basically can't bandsaw it, it
just dulls the blade

Speed that sucker up... I worked at an ultra high vac company that makes
time of flight instruments, all in 304ss. They took a rather
unimpressive Craftsman band saw and upped the blade speed into the lower
reaches of friction sawing territory. It would saw up to 1/8" with ease,
3/16 would slowly bog the motor requiring cutting in short advances.
Used 1/4" woodworking blades. Oh, it's pretty noisy...

Jon